Guernsey Girl

Welcome to my blog! I am Erica Bodman from Guernsey, 25 years old. I started rowing in 2008, retired in 2013.

Life goes on. This is my story.

Thursday 25 April 2013

The Last Post

So, I think most people will be expecting a blog post about my Final trials, and I will tell you about that but I also have some big news to share. I have very sadly decided that it is time for me to stop rowing.  As with any decision of this magnitude, it has not been made lightly.  Life as a full time international athlete is incredibly tough, and there are many reasons that have lead to me making this decision.  Ultimately, the main one being that my heart just isn't in the sport anymore. 


I love racing and I do the training so that I can race, but my physiology has hardly moved on in the last eighteen months and boat speed not picked up. I feel I am putting in a lot and not getting much return.  As a competitive athlete this is very hard to deal with.  I had a tough time at the weekend, at GB Final Trials. I had a poor time trial, but with side by side racing for semi finals and finals I picked myself up and improved my ranking with each race.  I didn't come out badly, and was asked to row in a 4- for the next couple of weeks with some seat racing and a possible selection for the World Cup at Dorney. 
 
 
I know that this moment may seem like the wrong time to leave, with seat racing just around the corner, but my coach asked me how I would feel if a 4- was selected for the World Cup which I felt I could have made, and I'd quit just a few days earlier.  I honestly can say I wouldn't feel like I'd let myself down.  I'm tired of the training.  I don't want to be rowing right now and I can only applaud those who do. I've lost the fire, the desire to improve and give myself to the sport.  As an athlete, it is incredibly tough to accept defeat and say that you're done, you quit, but as people often say; when you know, you know.  The sacrifice, and physical and mental strain that you put your body under for top level sport requires a wholehearted, 100% approach and without that, it is impossible.
 
 
One of the hardest things for me has been to come to terms with the idea of telling everybody.  I feel so indebted to so many people and am constantly astounded by how everybody has helped me in whatever way possible, and are always wanting to help more.  This has not happened through lack of support, and although I have made peace with myself concerning my decision, I am so, so upset to have to tell everybody this news. I feel I am letting down and disappointing so many people.  Guernsey is one of the most inspiring places for a young athlete, and it is brilliant to constantly be seeing sport being promoted throughout the island, and to all.  I am so fortunate to have grown up in such a healthy environment and was given all available opportunities to achieve my dreams.  For this I am eternally grateful. 
 
 
Despite this tough decision, I am excited for what the future will hold for me and I know that the dedication and commitment that I had to my rowing will come through and help make me successful in other areas.
 
 
Erica
 
 
Forever thankful for the support of:
 
Mum and Dad
My support network of family and friends
Jeremy Frith, Dave Warr and all at the Guernsey Sports Commission
Jeremy Rihoy, Rihoy and Sons
Colin Fallaize and everyone at the Fitness Factory
Leander Club
GB Rowing
Faith in Nature
110% Play Harder
Buff
Hunter Wellies
Headsweats
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a tough decision to make, Erica. I'm very privileged to have watched your rowing career go from strength to strength from those early days with HCBC. I wish you all the best with your next step. James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica - Am sad to see you've decided to quit rowing. It happened to my rowing career. In my professional capacity I've seen lots of athletes quit their sport because they're tired and not making any progress. But after fully assessing their health (particularly adrenal function) they come back better than ever. Hope this isn't the ultimate insidious reason you've decided to quit.
    Very best of luck with what you plan to do next.
    Adam Thornton.
    'Once a rower always a rower!'

    ReplyDelete